EndOfStream an Error???

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Wed May 24 21:18:32 UTC 2000

Oops. Hit wrong button.

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Bob Arning wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
> >What I do know, however, is that not too long ago we've integrated a
> >change set (I think from Bert) which modified quite some places to use
> >the #next/#isNil test instead of #atEnd. Which leads me to the
> >assumption that there ought to be places in which a quick return might
> >be really critical.

IIRC my main concern was that the atEnd test in sqFilePrims is implemented
as (current position == file size). Which is kind of stupid if the "file"
happens to be a unix pipe handle. Oh well.

> (I lean toward Exception, Notification or perhaps
> ErrorsForWhichTheDefaultActionIsUsuallyAcceptable rather than Error).

I second this.

-- Bert