Karel the Robot

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Wed May 31 16:30:43 UTC 2000

At 5:22 PM +0200 5/31/00, Stephane Ducasse wrote:
>Does anybody have experience with Karel the robot for teaching programming?
>
>       http://www.mtsu.edu/~untch/karel/
>
>Does anybody read the book? is it worth to buy it?
>Does somebody thought of implementing this is Squeak?
>May be not exactly ;)
>
>Stef

I don't have experience teaching with Karel, but I do have some
experience using it. When I was in elementary school in the 1980s
we used a system (very probably) based on Karel as an almost-first
introduction to programming.  Having already studied Logo first, the
Karel tool we had was pretty simple.  I never read the book myself,
but I found the programming exercises a whole lot of fun.

Upon reflection, I don't know that Karel taught me something that my
other early programming experiences didn't, but that doesn't mean it
was not valuable.

Isn't Wonderland almost "Karel Complete"? :)

-Eric