[Win32] VM Update for 2.7/2.8

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Wed May 24 20:16:47 UTC 2000

At 20:11 24.05.00 +0200, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>[Something about benchmarking Interpreter>translate:]

After send out the email, I immediately noticed that of course next is used
to read in the Smalltalk source for compilation (clearly an issue of
writing before thinking). I thought that a buffered StandardFileStream
might have a much better performance and tried to write one.

The result is attached but as this was real brain-surgery I'm not sure
whether you can file this in - it would modify and probably break the code
when doing this.  You can at least look at the code and believe my
profilings :-)   A way to go might be to find the "bufferSize" method and
change it to 1.  Then everything should be as before.  After a successful
filein, change it back to 8000 or so.

With buffered read, I get 19% faster translation.  StandardFileStream>>next
needs only 2.9% or 2.2 seconds now.  I could probably save anther 10% by
buffering the writing.

bye