Proposal3: Make $_ a valid identifier character

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Tue May 30 11:53:54 UTC 2000

At 5:31 PM +1200 5/30/2000, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>	Ahem.  Squeak derives from Smalltalk 80, named after the year 1980.
>
>So what?  I've seen VMS sites still using printers in the early 80s
>where _ printed as <-.

Your thesis, as expressly stated and reiterated, was that Smalltalk
didn't include low lines "because it simply _couldn't_.  The fact
that it was possible to have used Smalltalk on machines that
"couldn't" in 1980 does not prove your point any more than the fact
that it is equally possible to use those machines today.
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
Netwolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
www.netwolves.com