[updates] D'n'D ready for test

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed May 17 15:02:41 UTC 2000

Folks -

I've just put out two more updates which comprise the merger of Stephan Rudlof and Michael Rueger's work on drag-and-drop in Morphic.  It's a lot of changes in parallel with a lot of others (and rushed to make it into 2.8), so it may need testing.  I had not tried out the D'n'D browser before, and the first thing I tried moved a method to a different category (as desired) but the change did not display until I switched categories (not desired).

Your help in shaking things down in the next week will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to Stephan and Michael for assembling this major contribution.

	- Dan
------------------------
2157dndCleanup-mir -- Michael Rueger (m.rueger at acm.org) -- 16 May 2000
This change set cleans up redundant code/inst vars and inconsistent method names for handling selections and drag&drop operations.
It delegates the color settings to the Preferences class.
It also introduces a more generic usage of TransferMorph, delegating the decision about dnd parameters and actions to the models where possible.

2158BrowserWithDragAndDrop -- Stephan Rudlof, Michael Rueger -- 15 May 2000
Release:			0.7
Drag&drop for standard browsers!
Precondition: Morphic, Squeak 2.7, dndCleanup
Postcondition: You have to open new browsers to see some effect! Old ones should work as before (the same should be valid for other tools using PluggableListMorph or subclasses).
Usage:
Just press the red button (after pressing shift key or not) and drag inside a browser window or from one browser window to another (you *don't* need two windows!):
- a method in another message category,
- a class in another class category,
- a method from a class to another class.
There is
- copy semantic, if shift key pressed,
- move semantic, if shift key not pressed.
The user has to confirm, if some method should be overwritten.
DoIts:
Browser openBrowser.
Utilities dragNDropDomestos. 'for removal of drag&drop artifacts'
Preferences:
There are 'browsing' preferences
- 'browseWithDragNDrop', default is 'on';
- 'dragNDropWithAnimation', default is 'on'.
Bugs:
They surely exist: mail them to me or Squeak ML!
Implementation note:
Merged with standard classes since v0.5 to avoid code bloat.
Have fun!