Digression on Acrostics

Luciano Notarfrancesco lnotarfrancesco at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 23:03:52 UTC 2000

--- Dan Ingalls <Dan.Ingalls at disney.com> wrote:
> [Now for something completely different...]
>
> The two new word games in Squeak are fruits of my
> taking last weekend "off" (although my wife disputed
> this notion ;-).  I've had them on my list for a
> long time, because they are each puzzles that are
> much more fun with the aid of a computer (since
> copying and making changes on paper can be tedious).
>  [The last time I tried them it was in (shhh) Visual
> Basic].

Thanks Dan! This is wonderful! I'm one of those who
didn't know about acrostic puzzles.

Puzzles with words are deeply associated with
Smalltalk in my brain. The first thing I did with an
Smalltalk was to decrypt the message in "The
Gold-Bug". I was reading the tale for first time (yes!
first time to Smalltalk and first time reading that
tale!) and I stoped when the cryptogram appears,
before the solution is revealed. Then I went to
Smalltalk and wrote some tools to count character
frequencies, etc. And finally, even when there were
some mistakes in the printed message (it was a cheap
argentinian edition in spanish), I decrypted it! And I
was very very happy!

This is the very first thing I did with a Smalltalk...

Now I'm going to play with acrostics!
Luciano.-