[ENH] CelesteSpeedup

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 23 17:57:19 UTC 2000

"Stephen T. Pope" <stp at create.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> Stephan Rudlof wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > I think time is near to take a look at Celeste again to decide, if it
> > could replace Netscape Messenger for me....
>
> The issue that's keeping me from switching over is the DB; in order to
> interoperate, it'd be *great* if there was a mode in which Celeste left
> mail stored in standard-format mail folder files. Is this planned? (I
> realize that the mail database is a large part of the raison d'etre for
> Celeste, but it means you have to make a pretty big commitment to move
> over to it.)

Celeste can't use other formats directly, but it already imports and
exports in Unix format, a format that most other programs can use.
To try it, select a category and pop up the middle menu--it will include options to
import and export all the messages in the selected category.  Using the
.all category *should* allow exporting all of the messages (although I
notice it currently does not--to workaround you can do "file all" from
.all and move the messages to a regular category).

I guess the nice bits of code to write, would be:

	1. Allow exporting .all.  Ugh, more menu tweaking.

	2. Add a menu item to export all categories in a file name which is the
same as the category.  This should offer a sample directory to target.
Writing this ought to really be a snap considering that the
export-category code already exists.

-Lex