Face down, nine-edge first (wherein all is revealed)

Michael Donegan invader at alumni.rice.edu
Wed May 10 06:17:09 UTC 2000

I learned on a 1620 in high school and then moved on to a 1401.
Someone said that multiply was limited to 100 digits, but that wasn't true. The result was stored at 99 and down and then wrapped back to the top of memory and would just keep going. I wrote a set of floating point routines and estimated that a 25 x 25 Kramer's Rule matrix inversion would take about 2 days.

I remember that my names: MICHAEL KELLY DONEGAN were all valid instructions on a 1401 so I could sign my programs by writing some really arcane assembly language.

The strangest machine I programmed was an NCR Century 100. It only had 18 (count 'em) instructions, half of those were branches. It took about an hour to assemble our programs. It had a really cool operating system with the only good error messages I have ever seen.

    mkd