[ENH] Splash screen

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Thu May 18 18:31:07 UTC 2000

> > I'm not quite sure what you mean by this ... Do you want the VM to
> > initialize the Display bitmap with the host screen
> contents? That would be
> > cool, indeed!
>
> Yes, I guess that would do it -- hey, VM guys, can we do this?

Tricky. It requires delaying the actual creation of the (host) Window until
after Squeak comes up and had the time to read in the OS bits. This may
sometimes lead to problems, depending on how the OS is handling events.
E.g., you might see artifacts resulting from the action of opening Squeak
(such as some half-open menu or so) if the OS hasn't yet processed all
pending events from the Squeak startup. Another possibly tricky thing is how
to convert the OS bits into Squeak bits. Right now, only one direction is
required (from Squeak to OS) but the other half can be complicated (in
particular on Unixy systems).

  - Andreas