Carrying preferences around

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Tue May 2 09:26:56 UTC 2000

> From: "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
>
> Hrm, I would rather preferences be attached to an image, though.  For
> instance, I have development images, server images, and an occasional
> screwball image where I'm playing with something really wierd.  Each
> image is its own little world, with its own preference settings.
Such a
> system is incompatible with global preferences stored in files.

The OpenStep Defaults system, for example, allows hierarchical
specification of defaults, very similar to preferences.  There is a
global level which is overridden by a per-application level which is
overridden by a per-process level taken from the command-line.  The
first two levels are stored in a per-use defaults database.

A Squeak per-image level would have to be inserted between the
document and process levels as a "document" level.

Marcel