Copyright issues [was: Re: Who wants to refactor #deepCopy?]

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Tue May 30 16:07:03 UTC 2000

Andrew,

thank you for your explanations. I have a few more - concrete -
questions:

"Andrew C. Greenberg" wrote:

> >How far can someone 'copy' an existing implementation of a commercial
> >Smalltalk?
> >- Totally?
> >- Just rename some vars?
> >- Change the class structure?
> >- Change some algorithms?
>
> The following provides broad summaries of U.S. law only.  Your
> mileage may vary.
>
> Copyright protects expressions of ideas, and not ideas itself.  To
> the extent a program implements a particular functionality, that
> functionality may be recreated without reference to the expression.
> If the expression is only one of a few limited ways in which the
> functionality may be implemented, it probably isn't protected by
> copyright at all (the so-called "merger doctrine" where the idea
> merges with the expression).
>
> Still further, you can only infringe if you are guilty of copying or
> deriving from the original work.  If you are presented with a
> detailed specification, even if derived from an existing work, that
> embodies only the ideas of the work, and develop a program from the
> specification without reference to the original (a so-called
> "clean-room" implementation), there is no infringement.  (Practice
> this only witht the guidance of competent counsel

If there is any...

> -- "clean rooming"
> is difficult to do right, and a disaster if done wrong).

Does this mean that it is possible to e.g.
- take the class hierarchy of VW Filename,
- take all method names of methods called from outside the class
hierarchy (the interface),
- program the same functionality?

In short: Implement the same functionality with the same interface?

What about using the 'private' methods?

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)