[ENH] Assertion

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Fri May 12 23:19:40 UTC 2000

Dan Ingalls wrote:

> >I don't really care whether
> >    [a > 0] assert.
> >or
> >    self assert: [a > 0].
> >is used.  It's important to have that concept.
>
> FWIW, the latter form has the advantage of local control over evaluation of the assertions without goobering up BlockContext.

What about introducing just this semantic difference:
	[a > 0] assert.
for forced evaluation of asserts and
	self assert: [a > 0]
for optional debug evaluations.

The former could only switched off by changing the compilation, but this
would soften (make more diffuse) the semantic difference.

Greetings,

Stephan

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)