Jitter 3.1 available for PowerMac (MacOS and Linux)

Ian Piumarta Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Nov 15 20:19:40 UTC 2000

Hi, intrepid alpha testers,

There is a new version for MacOS at

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/Jitter-3.1/macos/j3.1.sit.bin

which should cure the problems on OS 8.6.  To make download life
easier there is also an archive called

  image-j3.sit.bin

in the same directory containing the image and changes.  The new
sources are in

  .../Jitter3.1/devel/Squeak2.8.sit.bin

and to rebuild from source you'll also need to grab GCC.sit.bin again
(it now includes awk, etc., needed to GNUify the interp.c file).

We owe a big "thanks!" (and an evening's supply of beer -- "real beer,
not that american stuff" ;-) to John McIntosh who tracked down the
(rather obscure) problem with 8.6.  Dan also suggested we make
available a version with performance measuring support, which we'll be
looking into in the next day or two.

While I think about it: the problem with 50000 factorial was caused
by a (native) stack overflow.  When we get our heads around guard
zones and the like, this limitation will go away.  (But that might
not be for some time -- sorry.)

Have fun,

Ian & Marcus