Some j3 feedback

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Mon Nov 13 16:58:51 UTC 2000

At 14:17 13.11.00 +0100, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

>So this seems a quite small real-world improvement, a mere 30%. (What is
>to be expected from a jit, from experience with VisualWorks or Java?)

I just benchmarked a complex java application (a Little Smalltalk
interpreter written in Java ;-) and here are the results:

                         3+4      100 factorial
JVM 1.3
  classic, interpreted   660          21750
  hotspot client         ~60          ~2500
  hotspot server         ~55          ~2300

All values are milliseconds.  Please note that most of the time is spend
compiling the entered string by the smalltalk-written Smalltalk compiler.
The hotspot compiler needs some time to adapt, so I ignored the first two
tests and took the average of the next three runs.

This means that either the Java interpreter is very poor or the hotspot JIT
is very fast.  You decide :-)

bye
Stefan Matthias Aust // Pilgrims, beware of the Dark between the Fading Stars