Ascii Equivalents for KeyUp/KeyDown events

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Nov 30 16:46:14 UTC 2000

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, Marcel Weiher wrote:

> > Good point. OTOH, inventing new codes just for the fun of it might not
> > be clever. If we want to distinguish between characters typed and keys
> > pressed/released (which I think we should do anyway) couldn't we use
> > Unicode for the characters and X key syms for the keys?
>
> Well, yes.  However, I am not sure if having a "standard but
> non-standard" key-code is of much use, since you neither can be sure
> that the current device actually has a key-code that your app is
> looking for, nor that all the keys your device has actually map to one
> of the X keycodes.

I think the keysym specs are extended when new keys bocome common. Like
the Menu-key on Windows keyboards.

> I would think that the key-code should be whatever the device actually
> delivers (device-specific), because only then do you have a safe 1:1
> mapping, whereas the same event also carries the unicode character
> (sequence) that is equivalent.

But wouldn't it be better if, for example, the left shift key would
produce the same key code on all platforms? The raw keyvalue (in my
system an integer in the range 8-255, of which 105 are used because
my keyboard has this many keys) might be useful for games, but you would
have to have a special in-Squeak mapping for these codes ...

-- Bert