[BUG] Re: [updates] 71 for 2.9alpha

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 21 22:56:33 UTC 2000

>Hi John,
>
>I fixed this, and thought that I sent it to the list.  I'll boot back
>into MacOS later this evening and try again.
>
>There isn't really a full solution to backward changeset
>compatibility.  For example, I've seen classes which subclass
>AlignmentMorph and have code like "hResizing _ vResizing _
>#shrinkWrap" in the "initialize" method.  I don't think it would make
>sense to leave the inst vars there, as well as code to make them work
>with the new layout code.
>
>I also think that forcing a quick update to the new API makes the
>system more comprehensible, especially given the current state of
>documentation.  If I was a new Squeaker, I think I'd be confused by
>the redundancy.  Let's be honest, I would have been confused anyway!
>
>Bye,
>Joshua

Well I think either add back compatibility methods, or a message
stating what the issue is. Right now you just get a does not
understand walkback without knowing what the problem is. (well I did
but you can understand the issue now is that if someone gets a
current 2.9 image then it's possible that many of the old morphic
change sets out there won't work for him anymore).

Yes I did see your fix, it was just that I was working an issue with
the Morphic MPEG player when the 71 updates went out and I was
chasing if the problem was related to the new updates, or in an older
image.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6