[updates] 71 for 2.9alpha

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 21 07:34:35 UTC 2000

>2986FixGCTooSlow-di -- Dan Ingalls -- 18 November 2000
>Provide a margin of one byte per object to be used for forwarding
>pointers at GC time.  Since fwd blocks are 8 bytes, this means an
>absolute worst case of 8 passes to compact memory.  In most cases it
>will be adequate to do compaction in a single pass.

PS In order to actually take advantage of 2986 you need a NEW VM.
I'll be building a new macintosh VM tomorrow which you should all get
by USA Thanksgiving.

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6