Bug Tracking (Re: Squeak 2.8 "finalization")

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 14 21:34:58 UTC 2000

mdr at scn.org (Mike Rutenberg) wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> > IMHO the SourceForge facilities should be reserved for VM platform
> > support code related stuff only.
>
> I would strongly favour starting to do more industrial strength tracking
> of bugs, fixes, and proposed enhancements.  This has everything to do
> with ensuring that (1) things do not fall through the cracks and (2)
> that all relevant information is available in one place.

Do you know of a bug tracking system that wouldn't be more overhead than
it saves?  Typing a report into a form takes real time.  Furthermore,
some bugs point to bigger issues, and aren't likely to fit into any nice
form.

I really don't know.  I've never worked on a project that had
effective formal bug tracking.

Let me suggest one thing before we give up on informal mechanisms.
Namely, whoever posts a bug report or a bug fix, should be become
that bug or fix's proponent.  If the bug or fix appears to have been
overlooked, the person who posted about it should follow up.

Maybe we should even have a [RP] or a [REMINDER] tag, so people can
distinguish new bugs from people whining about old ones.  :)

-Lex