Ascii Equivalents for KeyUp/KeyDown events

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Thu Nov 30 11:55:15 UTC 2000

> > The only difference between your proposal and mine that I can
see is
> > that with your proposal, codes may conflict with assigned Unicode
> > codes, whereas with mine they cannot.
>
> Good point. OTOH, inventing new codes just for the fun of it might not
> be clever. If we want to distinguish between characters typed and keys
> pressed/released (which I think we should do anyway) couldn't we use
> Unicode for the characters and X key syms for the keys?

Well, yes.  However, I am not sure if having a "standard but
non-standard" key-code is of much use, since you neither can be sure
that the current device actually has a key-code that your app is
looking for, nor that all the keys your device has actually map to
one of the X keycodes.

I would think that the key-code should be whatever the device
actually delivers (device-specific), because only then do you have a
safe 1:1 mapping, whereas the same event also carries the unicode
character (sequence) that is equivalent.

Marcel