[GOODIE] Mpeg3Plugin.so for Linux

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sat Nov 4 22:41:10 UTC 2000

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Great I ran a compare and will integrate your changes into the source
> I've got. There are some other changes pending for Windows support.
> But let me ask what is performance like?

Hard to tell. This is the first-ever MPEG player on my machine :)

There are artefacts, little rectangles not update for a few frames - I
don't know if this is a performance issue. Audio is faster than video,
they're out of sync. And for some files, it crashes after a while.

And I had to change the color mode from 13 to 1 (MPEG3_RGBAF8888 to
MPEG3_BGRA8888) in the player. But this should be changed depending on
"Smalltalk endianness".

Apropos constants: I'd rename MPEG3_RGBA555 to MPEG3_BGR555 and RGBAF8888
to ABGR8888 - or whatever these modes actually do ;) Or is the F in
RGBAF8888 for "big endian"? Anyway, I'd need a byteswapped BGR555 mode ...

> And did you try the multiple CPU, and MMX support?

Not yet, I don't have nasm around. And the SMP machine is at my office,
but I doubt I'll have much time next week to try :(

Anyway, you did a great job! Thanks!

-- Bert