Ascii Equivalents for KeyUp/KeyDown events

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Thu Nov 30 17:35:58 UTC 2000

> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>

> But wouldn't it be better if, for example, the left shift key would
> produce the same key code on all platforms?

The problem here is that it doesn't.  My system doesn't usually
report left/right shift keys, it just gives me notification that
shift is now pressed/unpressed, in addition to having the modifier
flags set for other events.

> The raw keyvalue (in my
> system an integer in the range 8-255, of which 105 are used because
> my keyboard has this many keys) might be useful for games, but you
would
> have to have a special in-Squeak mapping for these codes ...

It seems to me that if you're going to do stuff like use 'left shift
key' codes, you're going to be device-dependent anyhow, so
pretending device-independence in any way shape or form is just
asking for trouble.

Marcel