[FIX] Colors and connection dialog (Version 2)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 20 21:06:19 UTC 2000

Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> is widely believed to have written:

> Geoff,
>
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:32:06 -0500 Geoffrey Corey <gcorey at redsky.com> wrote:
> >Never noticed the block method fixTemps.  It does
> >correct the problem.  Is this method specific to squeak?
>
> I suspect it is. Since BlockContexts are not true closures yet, and due to some (IMHO) iffy assumptions about reuse of contexts that may differ between debugged code and pure VM interpretation, method temps are not 100% reliable in cases like the one below. The use of #fixTemps often helps get one closer to the expected results.
Nope, #fixTemps has been around since before the dorado-saurs stalked
the earth. It went away in ParcPlace ObjectWorks 2.0 I think for the
first time in a commercial Smalltalk. BrouHaHa had proper closures a
little while before that.
Several people have expressed intent to make closures for Squeak over te
last couple of years but nothing has yet been proposed as a concrete
offering.

tim

Computers are unreliable, but humans are even more unreliable.  - Gilb