Stability opf Squeak on Linux

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Nov 14 22:19:34 UTC 2000

>Great idea, but let's be careful.  In ThisEndClosed, you should be able
>to read but not write.  In OtherEndClosed, you should be able to write
>but not read.  Right?

I should point out that right now on the mac you can be in the state
otherEndClosed but still have pending data to be read from the socket.

We should decide if this is valid? Technically I could get a read
event, where we read the data into an internal buffer, then signal
the read semaphore, then the otherEndClosed event comes in. Thus we
now have the socket in otherEndClosed state but data still pending to
be read.

Much of the code I've seen assumes if the socket is connected then do
what ever, if the socket goes out of connected state, then do the
termination, which misses the otherEndClosed state.

Also note if we are in ThisEndClosed state and we get a
otherEndClosed I disconnect the socket (state goes to Unconnected)
(which seems reasonable to me at the time).
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6