Squeak 2.8 "finalization"

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Mon Nov 13 16:53:59 UTC 2000

I downloaded the latest Windows Squeak 2.8 to check it out re: release
quality. I don't know if this has the latest tweaks, but it certainly has
some rough edges. I don't know if the VM has all the plug-ins compiled,
but if not, I didn't see any :)

I notice that the Play With Me's seem to be a bit jerky zooming out. More
annoyingly, the preference panel opens to a teeny-weeny size each time
(even if resized manually).

(I also notice that I am apparently addicted to being an alpha
tester...I'm running a 2.7 with some updates, a 2.8 with some updates, and
several 2.9s :))

While I think it would be nice to have a "done" 2.8, I don't think we're
in danger of being overtaken by 2.9. 2.8 might be a good place to nail
down a functional test/QA strategy, both technical and social. E.g., might
want to assign folks specific parts of the system to check (perhaps
corresponding to bits they tend to use, or don't mind dorking around
with). Indeed, I could see asking such a group (for which I hereby
volunteer) to do their checking within some time period after a release
goes gamma.

This may also be one place where a separate mailing list is worth
enduring.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.