[GOODIE] Mpeg3Plugin.so for Linux

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Nov 6 22:49:51 UTC 2000

Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
> > I think so, but right now you know you are at frame 232402 out of
> > 5553222, and at 24 frames a sec you know which sample of sound you
> > should be playing just based on doing some math. The trick is how to
> > sync in Squeak. Right now we assume we start playing sound at time
> > zero, and if we play 1 hour of sound data it takes one hour to play,
> > but is this really really true? Anyone care to test?

Squeak's sound playing isn't necessarily regulated to real time.  Even a
lot of oscillators used in *clocks* aren't all that accurate; I'd expect
the oscillators used in sound cards are even less precise.  Given this
situation, synchronizing against the sound seems like a fine approach.

Synching everything against a real clock would be even better.  However, that
means, I would think, stretching or compacting sound buffers compared to
how fast the sound device actually seems to be running.  Doable, but it
takes some work.

Anyway, synchronization of some sort is definately needed.  Especially
let's not forget slower machines, or even fast machines that have a lot
of BouncingAtomsMorphs on the screen.

-Lex