Stability opf Squeak on Linux

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Nov 14 21:04:55 UTC 2000

Rob Withers <slosher2 at home.com> wrote:
> > Thanks for posting this; it's one configuration that works.  Rob Wither's stuff
> > is more compatible with newer Squeak's, however.  Although, to make
>
> I see I had problems with old-style Listen for older images.  We also
> fixed a few close situations:  I am now using shutdown(SHUT_RDWR), and
> you can no longer write in OtherEndClosed state.  Does the attached work
> better?

Great idea, but let's be careful.  In ThisEndClosed, you should be able
to read but not write.  In OtherEndClosed, you should be able to write
but not read.  Right?

Also, #close should only shutdown for *writing*, not for reading.
#close declares that you aren't sending any more data, but you can still
read if you want.  Still, I guess shutdown() is better than close() --
Unix's close() is as potent as Squeak's #destroy, but hopefully
shutdown() is more forgiving.

At least, this is all the way I currently understand it.  I actually
submitted a patch to make Linux's close() weaker (ie, more similar to
closing a file), but the Linux TCP/IP guys argued that I was
*introducing* a bug, not removing one.  The RFC's seem to back up those
guys up, if you interpret close() as ABORT.

Thanks for sending that updated source file!  I guess I'll wait and see what you
think about these other small issues, though, before I try playing with
it myself.

-Lex