Character recognition (was Re: Return...)

Benjamin Pollack bluegecko at ameritech.net
Mon Nov 6 22:28:27 UTC 2000

On 11/4/00 11:36 PM, John M McIntosh at johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
wrote:

>> Alan Kay, Re: BountyQuest
>>> Might be worth a try. I think anyone that is actually concerned might
>>> try them and see what happens ....
>>
> I'll leave one thought, sometimes it's worth just asking them for
> permission, they can only say no. Then at least you know were you
> stand. If they say yes, then great, but if you never ask, you'll
> never know...

That'd be a bad call.  If you ask them for permission to use the patent,
you're admitting that your product violates the patent, which I think we all
agree this does not.  That'd just give them ammo if we ever did have to
bring this to court.  It'd be better to just proceed with a low profile and
not worry about this unless Xerox and friends want to bring up the issue
themselves.

depends on the unreasonable man."
   --G.B. Shaw