Bug Tracking (Re: Squeak 2.8 "finalization")

Mike Rutenberg mdr at scn.org
Tue Nov 14 17:19:41 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> IMHO the SourceForge facilities should be reserved for VM platform
> support code related stuff only.

I would strongly favour starting to do more industrial strength tracking
of bugs, fixes, and proposed enhancements.  This has everything to do
with ensuring that (1) things do not fall through the cracks and (2)
that all relevant information is available in one place.

I think we have multiple problems now, and taken together they end up
causing a lot of frustration and wasted effort.  Bug reports are not
tracked and I suspect often get forgotten in the run of time.  Bug fixes
(that work well!) are often not incorportated into the system because
they get forgotten.  The is no easy way to get an overview of the status
of a proposed enhancement (e.g. who has reviewed it and what they said,
how long it has been outstanding, what the decision was with respect to
incorporating it into the system).

I actually think that doing this well will add a lot to the Squeak
effort.  It provides the opportunity to formalize the feedback process
so that people can see that submitting changes makes a difference.  It
would certainly make me significantly more happy.

I was thinking about this over the weekend and thought SourceForge might
make an ideal platform for this since it can be used from all our
various platforms.  Any oother viable options should be considered.  (I
suspect it is too much distraction to write this as a Squeak server and
application, though I don't know).

Mike