Jitter 3.1 available for PowerMac (MacOS and Linux)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Nov 16 19:05:34 UTC 2000

>  > From: Marcus Denker <marcus at ira.uka.de>
>>  Squeak.make builds a gnuified non-jitter interpreter.
>>
>>   '45519203 bytecodes/sec; 1421075 sends/sec' CW
>>   '45649072 bytecodes/sec; 1360653 sends/sec' gnuified MPW/gcc
>>
>>  (G4 450Mhz)
>
>When I was building for MacOS-X-Server, I found that the gnuified
>version was actually slower than the non-gnuified one (both compiled
>for PPC with Apple gcc).  Both seemed significantly slower than the
>CodeWarrior-compiled versions for plain MacOS, much to my chagrin...
>
>Maybe I should get the code-warrior command-line compiler and try that.
>
>Marcel

Well the current Squeak.make does -O2, so I tried it with -O3 and at
least the jitter 3 one promptly crashs. So I tried -O2 -funroll-loops
this works slightly better. I'd suggest you try -O3 & loop unrolling
with Apple's gcc and see if it works

The current CW built VM is compiled with loop unrolling. This makes
some difference since it produces quite different code for GC work,
(movement of object in new space) and for object creation (zeroing
out the block). These two actions rate very high on the things that
are run.
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6