Squeak 2.7 on iPAQ

Jörn Eyrich Joern.Eyrich at brokat.com
Sun Oct 29 17:08:58 UTC 2000

Okay, I got a bit sidetracked here when I discovered that there are already ports for a C64 emulator and MAME available for the iPAQ ;-) (playing with this 4-way-pad doesn't work all that well, by the way, in my opinion)

However, thanks to the work Yasuhiro Kurahara and Thomas Nelson did for the Jornadas, I was able to get an ARM Debug version of the 2.7 WinCE VM running on the iPAQ 36xx. It is about 480K and does about 3,8 Mbytecodes/s, 191 Ksends/s on "0 tinyBenchmarks".
I use a 760K image obtained by "Smalltalk majorShrink; abandonSources; lastRemoval"

The problems I encounter are:
- part of the squeak window is hidden under the WinCE menu bar (also noted by Yasuhiro Kurahara)
- sometimes the squeak window is not redrawn
- I can't get to the right button menu
- I don't know how to emulate the "Alt" modifier key (these last two items conspire to make it impossible for me to do a simple doIt)
- I can't see any new browsers or workspaces that I open (though they appear in the list after i do "find windows...")
- collapsed windows don't have a title (only close and maximize icons seperated by free space)
- moving/collapsing windows seems to break sometimes, then while trying to open the debugger, there seems to be another problem so I get a walkback that ranges from a "ZeroDivide" at the bottom of the screen through a "Fraction>>dNU" to a "MNU: bitAnd:" at the top, but unfortunately ...
- ... I can't find a SqueakDebug.log containing the whole story
(- after that you have 2MB RAM less available, but I guess that's WinCE for you)

Next thing is trying to do the same for Andreas Raab's latest (pre-2.8)sources.

Joern