Forecast

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Wed Oct 4 20:28:27 UTC 2000

Hi Dan & Squeakers!

On the subject of Events cleanup, I thought it would probably be a good time
to mention something about performance.  I have several Squeak images on my
machines (all Windows NT boxes), and I have several VMs too.  All of my VMs
were created by Andreas Raab (the standard fare).

Between 2.7 (VM & image) and 2.8 (VM & image), I have noticed that working
in morphic has gotten considerably more sluggish.  This slowdown is
particularly evident when I have lots of morphs in my project.  When I say
lots of morphs, I mean that I've got a half dozen or so Browsers open, some
inspectors, some changesets, a file list, etc., and one or two custom morphs
that I'm working on.

Between 2.8 and 2.9a, I use the same 2.8 VM (the latest from Andreas' site).
I have noticed that 2.9a is also sluggish, but I haven't really conducted
any timed tests between 2.8 and 2.9a, so I'm not sure if 2.9a is slow in
different ways.

I suspect that the slowdown between 2.7 and later revs of Squeak may be due
to stepping (lots of morphs wanting notification), because updating
menus/Browsers were added somewhere around that transition time, but my
memory is fuzzy on that score.

I figured I'd mention this data point in case you good folks on the list or
at SqC are looking into performance during your code cleanup phase.

Cheers,

---==> Chris

PS>  Perhaps this behavior is platform specific.  Have you Mac, Unix, Acorn,
CE, etc., folks also seen this kind of thing?