Interesting new target with Palm OS

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Mon Oct 23 02:21:03 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge writes:

> Aaron J Reichow <reic0024 at d.umn.edu> is widely believed to have written:
>
> > The Helio has a 75 MHz MIPS processor, 8 MB of RAM and 2 MB flash
> > ROM for $150-$170.
> And having played with one briefly at OOPSLA, it appears to have about
> as good performance as a Palm Pilot :-)

Oh, running the pocketlinux.com Java stuff?  I imagine it outperforms the
KVM running similar code on the pilot.... :-)

Seriously, give me a benchmark, and we'll compare pocketsmalltalk.com's
offering to the Helio running squeak.

> The iPaq 6350 on the other hand seems a _really_ promising machine.
> Get linux on it, dump that X junk and go direct frame buffer etc. It
> even has a decent CPU.

Oh, if you write the appropriate pixel munging to talk to its 12bpp screen,
you should be able to run my sqFbWindow.c on it already---well, you do have
to write a tpanel interface too.

My iPaq cost around $550.  Besides cost, I think it's a less interesting
platform right now because it has so much more storage and power.  I mean,
it's always easy to *add* features and take up more screen real estate.  At
least to a point.

The Helio gives you a look at the low end.

Jay