slow FreeCell (was: Re: Morphic slow in 2.8 (was:Forecast))

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 9 20:46:01 UTC 2000

David Farber <dfarber at numenor.com> is widely believed to have written:

> Bob - even though we're still on the trail of the mysterious slowdown
> between 2.7 and 2.9, this is not my major beef with Morphic. the fact that
> it polls for events (and on my lowly 200MHz machine misses or scrambles a
> *lot* of them) makes all of Squeak feel sluggish.
Assuming you're running on 2.8, the system is polling for _state_ not
events (and then Morphic tries valiantly to fudge-up events to suit),
which is why your events are being missed. In 2.9alpha, the system polls
for _events_ and none of them should be missed.

tim
Strange OpCodes: NOP: Randomize the PSW and then branch