PhotoSqueak, an Image Processing Framework

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 24 13:49:14 UTC 2000

>Hmm, I thought he had it simulating just fine, but it stalled when he
>discovered that you can't call back into Squeak from the plugin.  I've had
>similar issues when trying to Slangify classes that need to use streams -
>at some point down in the bowels you need to call "(some)Stream>>next".
>This is also the case with the latest MPEG stuff - it's really not well
>integrated into Squeak since it relies on external files.
>
>-- Duane

You have a good memory, Duane!  Yes, that's true, but then, as he
tried to squeeze more into the plugin, he got mightily confused about
how to create all the things he needed into Slang.  I think it was
Andreas who pointed out to me that you have to take on a certain
mindset with Slang -- yes, it RUNS in Squeak, but really, it's C, and
you can only do the things you can do in C.

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu