Windows CE VM sources

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Oct 19 17:50:37 UTC 2000

Jörn Eyrich wrote:

> AFAIK, they are here (together with the "real" 2.7 sources) :
> http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/src/Squeak27Bld8Src.zip

They are the most recent CE sources. However, it would be better
to take the most recent _Win32_ sources and port them to the CE device.
VM changes (especially the event stuff) are quite important to the PDA's.

Also, if you're going to do porting work, it makes sense to do so on the
latest branch.

However, Andreas hasn't put the 2.8 Windows sources anywhere public, AFAIK.
He has, however, provided VM's built from them.

I don't think he's done anything with CE since 2.7. And he seems pretty busy;
he was looking for someone to take over the Windows ports.

The 2.7 sources do not compile "out of the box" for a HPC/Pro target under
the newest M$ CE tools (which are free, finally). They have added some stdlib
routines to the standard headers which conflict with the stdlib stuff that
was added to the CE sources for Squeak.

For a Pocket PC target, they may compile (don't know).

> I am using the plain 6MB 2.7 image, figuring that there is enough RAM on the iPAQ (and in the emulation anyway...). Or is this a stupid thing to do?

I'd start with a majorShrinked image to get the VM up and running.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com