3 new mac VMs + pending Mac VM...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Oct 10 04:42:00 UTC 2000

>On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Bruce ONeel wrote:
>
>>  Hi,
>>    I've uploaded 3 new Mac VMs which John sent me:
>
>Are these VMs optimized at all?  Does CodeWarrior (or MPW?) allows for any
>general optimization (ala gcc -On) or specific G3 or G4 (AltiVec)
>optimization?
>
>Aaron

Yes these VM's are optimized for 603 CPUs. I'll consider looking at
the 750 optimization for the next version, but remember lots of
schools have 604 or less machines, goodness even rows of SE/30's. So
some more testing is required to decide which is the best Code
Warrior optimization level *and* target CPU for the general class of
machines that Squeak runs on, testing in Aug showed that some obvious
choices did NOT produce the best results.

I should point out that another revision of the VM will come out in a
week or two, pending changes to TCP/IP to solve problems with high
swiki loads. I've identified two different problems, and a problem
with finalization that I'm still trying to pin point, as you can
realize this last issue is difficult to understand.

These problems are all triggered if your code fails to close and/or
destroy the socket after use, if you leave the socket to be finalized
then issues arise (they shouldn't, perhaps < 1% of the time we run
into a unique situation which triggers the two problems). The most
common way of doing this is doing a listen/accept and getting a
socket which is closed or is in some sort of error state, then you
just let the socket get GCed, versus doing an explicit destroy.

So check your code and close and destroy or destroy those sockets
after you finish using them. Besides in my testing it wasn't uncommon
to get 300+ sockets waiting to be finalized, after all finalization
doesn't occur right away...
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6