Morphic slow in 2.8 (was: Forecast)

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Sat Oct 7 09:35:15 UTC 2000

> in 2.7 there
> was no latency between clicking on a button and the button being
> highlighted. In 2.8 there is a very noticably latency (probably ~ 500-700
> msec).

This was half of what my update "SnappierMorphic" (2644) addressed; buttons
simply didn't highlight on mouseDown without that fix. Like here, much of
the perceived slowness of Morphic is just that, ie. *perceived* slowness,not
a Morphic design problem as such. Perhaps the situation might have been
better if there weren't 15 Button classes (count 'em--and still not one done
really right).

This aside, John McIntosh and I did a lot of performance tweaking for the
Mac vm after 2.8.

Also, the recent improvements to exceptions should yield another 3-5%
(guesstimate) in message sends. (This applies to all platforms).

Further speedup is gained by recompiling the Mac VM with level 3
optimization (why isn't this the default for the released VM?) and for a 750
target processor instead of a 603, if you have a G3 or G4 of course. By the
way, doesn't it make sense to assume the G3/G4 as the most common Mac
processor nowadays and optimize the vm for that ? After all, it still runs
well on older chips.

Henrik