CORBA for Squeak

Johan Fabry johan.fabry at vub.ac.be
Thu Oct 19 10:59:57 UTC 2000

Lex Spoon wrote:

> > > Communication with other programming systems is a very nice thing.
> > > CORBA can't be more painful than not being able to do it at all!
> >
> > True. I just prefer easier solutions.
> >

> Do you know of any such easier solution?   Is there anything about
> CORBA that is particularly badly done?

To me, CORBA feels like it's been designed by committee to contain
everything, *including* the kitchen sink. Sounds cool (to some people),
but this makes it complicated to say the least. Add to that an
experience of a fellow student of mine, a few years ago, who tried to
implement one of the CORBA services, and found out it just could *not be
done*.

But currently we're stuck with it, and I do not forsee another
interoperability standard becoming as common as CORBA.

As for easier solutions for distributerd computing, that's a *hard*
issue. There are many, and each has its advantages and its drawbacks.
Depends on what you want to do, on what kind of network (LAN vs
Internet) et cetera ...

"You are more than the sum       Johan Fabry - Johan.Fabry at vub.ac.be
 of what you consume.            Vrije Universiteit Brussel
 Desire is not an occupation."   Programming Technology Lab, Room 10F709
  -- KMFDM                       Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium