FFI Question on Linux

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Sun Oct 22 13:08:29 UTC 2000

> Really? How could this effect the FFI module, which is looked up
> as 'SqueakFFIPrims' and named 'SqueakFFIPrims.so', so the line
>              (handle= tryLoading(        "./", pluginName, ".so"))
> should work fine? There's no 'lib' prefix involved here. You're right wrt
> the X11 example, which is looked up as 'X11' but needs to find
> 'libX11.so'. But the error 'Callout mechanism not available' generally
> means the SqueakFFIPrims-module could not be loaded.
>
> There was a discussion some days ago. Kevin, you got it working - what was
> the clue? (http://www.egroups.com/message/squeak/20894)
>
> -- Bert

Yes, I did get things working fine.  I had to rebuild the VM with
--enable-ffi=yes explicitly set to make it work, however.  After that, the
examples worked great, even without your patch linked above  (the module:
'X11' stuff works just fine since libX11.so can be easily found).

Of course, when I rebuilt the VM there were no pluginized modules beyond
Profiler.so and one other...there was no SqueakFFIPrims.so, so it must have
all been built in to the VM.  I'm still a little in the dark about building a
modular VM on UNIX..