[FIX] Switch ObjectExplorer to use printString (was Re: printString and "not indexable"???)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Oct 23 18:50:45 UTC 2000

Bob Arning wrote:

> I chose #asString because I didn't want to see a lot of single quotes
> in the explorer. They may be nice in an inspector where you are usually
> looking at one value at a time and where you might be copying stuff out
> of the left hand pane. In the explorer, you may see many string values
> and all the quotes just cluttered things up for me. I also like the
> flexibility of #asExplorerString, but you probably already guessed that.

Interesting.  I actually prefer to see the single quotes around strings in the explorer, since it makes it obvious which objects are Strings versus other object types... I guess I don't think of it as cluttered.

One compromise solution might be to have Object>>asExplorerString return a printString, but have String>>asExplorerString return asString (or just self), so that you don't see quotes around Strings.  (Symbol>>asExplorerString would need to return printString.)  This would take care of the wrapper problem that I was talking about, at least.  Or better, perhaps there could be a Preference setting for viewing all explorer strings as printStrings versus asStrings.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group - Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.riskmetrics.com