Swiki.net vs. Comanche ?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Tue Oct 31 21:41:39 UTC 2000

Thanks for the links and providing the information.

I read your PDF and enjoyed the your description of the technologies you
used.

Permission system: Does this provide delegated access to objects, pages,
directories?
Sessions
Virtual Hosting
Squeak Server Pages
Remote Server Management
XML Database

All of these would be great additions to Squeak and/or Squeak Web
Servers. Are any of these already publicly available?

I find the database of tremendous interest. It would seem that it
would/could be of value to any Squeaker. There are many desktop apps
which could benefit from a native XML/object database.

I believe Squeak Web Systems need all of the above and will eventual get
them. However, it would be tremendous if the community was blessed with
a current implementation or project to be able to run with.

Thanks again for sharing this information. I look forward to seeing what
becomes available in the near future.

Jimmie Houchin

Stephen Pair wrote:

> We are considering when and how to release a lot of the code in
> Swiki.net...there is a lot of stuff in there that is generally useful.
> We've also talked with the guys working on Swazoo/Aida...probably, our first
> step will be to organize our stuff and get it out...then we can begin to
> think about other issues.
>
> In the meantime, I've attached links to the 2 page extended abstract and the
> powerpoint presentation that I gave...in the demo, I actually had a lot of
> material that was presented directly in Squeak, but it's kind of meaningless
> without explanation.
>
> Here are the links:
>
> http://spair.swiki.net/.uploads/oopsla00/NetUnify_OOPSLA00.ppt
> http://spair.swiki.net/.uploads/oopsla00/NetUnifyExtendedAbstract.pdf