Collecting Updates Again

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Tue Oct 31 09:08:12 UTC 2000

Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> Unfortunately, I haven't followed the discussions on the Squeak list for
> the last three months or so and I'll probably be never able to catch up and
> read more than 3000 pending emails.  Therefore, I ask you all for some help.
>
> If you have posted a changeset to this list which hasn't been included in
> the base image yet and you still consider it as an important contribution,
> please send it to "squeak at 3plus4.de"

When I stepped in to collect updates from the summer, I went through
everything submitted from Stefan's last set up to (and including) Sept 02.
Therefore you should in principle not have to send him anything posted in
that period. (I have also submitted a list of 2.9a updates to also release
for a 2.8 update; this is presumably somewhere in the pipeline.)

To all who want their contributions made into updates:

Show appreciation for Stefan's _hard_ work and PLEASE PLEASE submit proper
changesets,

- ending with .cs not .st, and with an initials tag, like "Mychanges-hg.cs"
(where hg are my initials)

- with proper preambles, including full author name and a descriptive text
that will go into the text listing of released updates that Dan sends out.

- Use attachments that are saved to proper files, not text in the body of
the mail.

- Use Squeak's own .gz compression unless you _know_ that your mailer will
deliver your attachments intact.

All of this _must_ be done for all updates anyway, or they do not fit into
the format required for the update release mechanism--and there is simply no
excuse for making Stefan do this work for you!!!

-- The hardest part of Stefan's work is the non-mechanizable job of judging
whether a piece of code should be released or not. Therefore, the more
descriptive your posting is about eg. rationale, image version
compatibility, other prerequisites, etc., the better.

Henrik