Interesting new target with Palm OS

btanksley at hifn.com btanksley at hifn.com
Thu Oct 19 17:49:35 UTC 2000

From: Aaron J Reichow [mailto:reic0024 at d.umn.edu]
>On Thu, 19 Oct 2000 btanksley at hifn.com wrote:

>> From: Lalo Martins [mailto:lalo at hackandroll.org]
>> >If you want to sell a Squeak-based PDA, I'd say you should go
>> [...]
>> >In fact, that's exactly my plan in the long term.

>> Sign me up for this.

>> I'm /very/ interested in a programmable PDA, even if it couldn't be
>> programmed onboard.  Just imagine...

>Not to early to start... You can download the Helio image, emulator and
>such and Squeak your heart out.

Wow, that sounds *painful*.

Actually, I think I'll do the trick with reducing the size of squeak to
160x160x1; that's enough for me.  I do suspect we'll want to generate C for
all of the stuff that goes directly on the PDA; interpretation could be too
painful.

The exciting part isn't being able to code on the palmtop; it's having our
own palm OS.

>There seems to be increasing interest in this since Jay has release the
>preview of Squeak on the Helio.  Would there been any interest
>amoung us
>to start a PDA-Squeak (that is, UI, Apps, frameworks) project? Perhaps
>host it on Sourceforge?

I'm for it.  I actually have a design I've been working on for a while,
based on systemic linking, journalling, and categorical organization.  I
think we can make the PalmOS apps look both unbearably complex and unusably
simplistic :-).

But I'm only just learning Smalltalk.  Someone else will have to head the
project.

>Aaron

-Billy