Event implementation

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Tue Oct 31 21:21:13 UTC 2000

Hi folks,

I've been trying to implement the event-processing VM extensions,
and the result has been erratic and very sluggisch behavior with
mouse-clicks etc. in Morphic.  Very often, mouse-clicks are seemingly
not recognized at all, despite being passed on to Squeak.

Interestingly, things improve (though not perfectly) if I drag the
mouse with the button down.  Clicks that just generate a single
mouse-down followed by a single mouse-up rarely get recognized at
all.

Things that I am unclear about are the exact meaning (units?) of the
timestamp value in the event structure, as well as what types of
events are expected.  For example, currently I get 2 events from my
OS for a mouse-click, a mouse-down and a mouse-up, which are
translated into squeak mouse-events with the corresponding
button-flag set and cleared, respectively.  Is this correct?  Is
anything else expected, maybe some-sort of timed "MouseStillDown"
event?

Puzzled,

Marcel