Morphic slow in 2.8 (was: Forecast)

Andres Valloud avalloud at exobox.com
Wed Oct 4 21:49:25 UTC 2000

Hi.

> I have experienced the same thing on my 200MHz NT machine moving from 2.7
> to 2.8. The place it is most evident to me is with buttons; in 2.7 there
> was no latency between clicking on a button and the button being
> highlighted. In 2.8 there is a very noticably latency (probably ~ 500-700
> msec). It is very easy to see (at least on my machine), for example, when
> you press the "New game" button in FreeCell <grin>. For that reason, I have
> not upgraded my FreeCell image to 2.8.

On Linux, I have noticed that this happens when sound is being used by
another program. I have Squeak configured so that it tries to make
sounds when you delete morphs using the halos... but it seems that
everytime it tries to grab /dev/dsp it takes a long time to figure out
it's being used. And yes, ~500-700ms, even slower, on a pentium III/600.

Andres.