[UNIX]Building modular VMs (was Re: floatAt: on Win2K vs Linux )

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 10 17:41:49 UTC 2000

In message <05fc0d0b4a.rowledge at goldskin.stcla1.sfba.home.com>
          Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:

> In message <5cdb83094a.rowledge at goldskin.stcla1.sfba.home.com>
>           Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
>

> > However, you _can_ convince the current makefile stuff to build a unix
> > VM for you with various things externalised with a bit of fiddling.
> >
> > How to make SoundPlugin as an external plugin
> > Just as an example.
> Well that was a waste of time. It turned out I was working with the
> 'old' 2.8.2 stuff. I just tried to do this with the 'new' 2.8.4 stuff
> and it doesn't work.
After more fiddling, I can make working socket & sound external plugins.

Generate the SocketPlugin for external use.
Generate the VM with SocketPlugin removed from the list in Interpreter
class>translate:doInlining:forBrowser:
then
Move the SocketPlugin directory to ~/src/SocketPlugin.
Move ~src/unix/sqUnixSocket. to ~src/SocketPlugin.
Edit ~src/unix/PLUGINS to remove the line with SocketPlugin - commenting
out with a '#' won't work.
In ~{your build directory}
	../src/unix/configure
	make
This should produce a socket-less vm in {your build directory} and a
socket plugin in {your build directory}/.libs

> Apart from anything else Ian has removed essential
> functions from the sound & sockets files, so they can't possibly work as
> external plugins.
My mistake, my apologies. Wouldn't work yesterday (or even this morning
at 2:30am), worked today after several more builds. 'kin Murphy!

No line available at 300 baud.