PhotoSqueak, an Image Processing Framework

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Fri Oct 20 20:03:46 UTC 2000

jmvuletich at sinectis.com.ar wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Thanks Karl for answering Mark's question. Your comments are completely right.
> I promise I'll find some time this weekend to explain these details in my page.
That would be great. Some hinting about which algorithms work for what
format(Float32/Int32/Unsigned8)/planes(0 and 3)(Are there more options
for planes by the way ?)
would be great.

> On the other hand, I'd really like to call it "PhotoSqueak" as Bijian
> suggested, or "Image Processing Toolkit" as Mark did. But it's only an early
> version of an Image Processing Framework. This means that many good algorithms
> are fully implented, and usable, but these are things that are lacking:
>
> - Speed. The only operations in pluginizable form are Convolution and
> conversion to Forms (for displaying). Anything else is SLOW.
Hopefully the J3 will cure some of this :-)

> - A really usable User Interface. Mine only allows to use the operations, but
> only someone with some knowledge of the available techiques will understand
> what they mean. Besides, it's quite weird, with several steps needed just, for
> example, for loading a file.
Ok.

> - Squeak lacks JPEG file writing (and needs faster reading too).
Some squeaker was working on this... can't remeber who or where ...

> - Integration of Images with Squeak Forms, avoiding a different hierarchy.
> Including BitBlt and WarpBlt with Float pixel Forms.
Ok

> - Integration of DSP routines with Squeak's (Noise Generation, 2d Convolution,
> 2d FFT, etc).
Ok

> - More operations, like 1d and 2d DCT, 2d FWT, 1d Convolution, texture
> analysis, edge detection on color images, etc.
Cool.

> - Integration with Squeak's drawing tools.
Cool.

> - Many more things.

The photoshop plugin specs are free I think so there could be a way to reuse
lots of usefull and cool stuff. GIMP for Linux also have a growing
number of
plugins. Most cool would be to use the famous translator found here
http://sumeru.stanford.EDU/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/translator.tar.gz

> Please keep in mind this work was made as a Lab exercise for an University
> course. Turning it into a high quality PhotoSqueak would need several month's
> work. Unfortunately, my studies (I'll get my Ms next year) and full time job
> don't leave me enough free time.
>
> It would be GREAT if I could get funding for this project. That way, I could
> work on it about 6 hours per day, and in some time, a much more complete and
> useful tool would result. Of course, all this should always be freely available
> (or maybe integrated in the main Squeak release)

Hope you get some contacts...:-)

Karl