Paper on Using Squeak to teach UI

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Oct 4 13:47:14 UTC 2000

I wrote a paper on how I use Squeak to teach UI (with a little on how
we use the CoWeb), including some empirical evidence on how the new
Squeak-based approach has improved student performance on MVC.
Basically, the idea is to build a UI toolkit from scratch, polling
Sensor and writing to Display -- an approach which is near impossible
in most other environments, and which seems to result in better
student learning.

The paper was submitted to ACM's SIGCSE 2000 conference, and this
version will be a GVU TR, #GIT-GVU-00-17.  FYI, the paper is
available at:
http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/papers/sigcse00/sigcse-squeak.pdf
http://guzdial.cc.gatech.edu/papers/sigcse00/sigcse-squeak.ps

Mark
Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu