Headless Comanche Swiki?

Roger Whitney whitney at cs.sdsu.edu
Thu Sep 21 06:00:35 UTC 2000

Here is a stack trace of trying to run a Squeak image
headless on Solaris.

eli 23-> squeak -headless test.image

Segmentation fault

11479668 CursorWithMask>beCursor
11479576 Cursor class>currentCursor:
11479484 InputSensor>currentCursor:
11479392 Cursor>show
11435120 SystemDictionary>snapshot:andQuit:
11435028 ScreenController>snapshotAndQuit
11434584 SelectionMenu>invokeOn:
11434492 ScreenController>controlActivity
11434400 Controller>controlLoop
11434308 Controller>startUp
11434096 [] in ControlManager>activeController:
11434188 [] in BlockContext>newProcess
eli 24->

Asking the cursor class to show a cursor is not going
to much good in headless mode. Not clear to me why
headless mode is a VM feature. In VisualWorks there is a
parcel (Smalltalk code) that one uses to make an image
headless. It is a bit more work to start a headless image,
but the solution is more portable.

--
Roger Whitney
San Diego State University