[GOODIE] NK-ConnectorsDemo.051.pr on Bob's Super Swiki

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Apr 6 20:18:50 UTC 2001

On Friday 06 April 2001 13:09, Jan Hussaarts wrote:
> I'm on Windows Me, 3.1alpha, update 3898. The VM is the alpa build 3 form
> March.
>
> I just tried it again, and it works. The difference with the previous time
> is that I was not online (connected to Internet) when I tried it the first
> time. Does the project require net-presence?

The project itself doesn't require the net at all.

As far as project loading and the net, Bob or Andreas could answer this
better.

I asked recently about whether it would be possible to use the .pr files
without net access. Andreas said it would be; if your system isn't working
right, it might be useful to find out why.

Andreas answered:

------- (Andreas' reply to my questions)

> Note that the .form files have URL's as file names.
> Will this work if/when I give this .pr file to someone
> else who doesn't have net access

Yes, absolutely. That's the entire point of the exercise. The data included
in a project published to your local disk is complete to prevent that sort
of problem that you have when trying to send around HTML files.

> (i.e. what does the project loader do with the URL's?)

The URLs describe resources needed by the project. When the project comes up
it attempts to load these resources from the given URLs. When the project
loader sees that the project file is a "fat" project file (e.g., PKZip
variant) it preloads all the resources from that project file directly and
doesn't even attempt to go out on the net to find the resources.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com